Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Name That Bug!


The folks from Nova Scotia, John and Emily were first to spot this bug a few days ago and based on their description of an insect they had never seen before, Deb and I both thought it to be some sort of 'walkingstick' - rather unusual in PA, at least in my experience, since I can remember seeing only a very few in my lifetime and Deb reports the same. When I spotted this critter today, sitting on a small tree right next to our water connection, I was rather surprised to see the difference between what is pictured above and what I remember as a walkingstick; however, it is indeed another variety of the insect and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to identify the exact variety (it IS clear from the picture) and to explain what it is doing.


Good luck!

2 comments:

Chris Ruch said...

looks like the Dryococelus Australis to me, but why would it be located in the region where you are... I mean, they're practically extinct, aren't they?

Now, it could belong to the Diapheromerinae, Anisomorpha or Pseudophasmatinae genus groups ... such as the buprestoldes, ferruninea, carolina or femorata... heck, even the manomera tenuescens. It also has similar features to the Australian Titan Stick (aka: Acrophylla titan).

Puh-leeez tell me I'm close or on the nose. This is hard work!!

Ty said...

In one of his alternatives, Chris correctly identified the [twostriped walkingstick] Anisomorpha buprestoides(Pseudophasmatidae) and Michael also submitted the correct variety a bit later; however, neither of them responded to the second part of the problem to "Explain what it is doing" which I will leave as an open item for now and we will have a second winner.