Friday, May 18, 2007

At the Luxor on Day 4


Thursday was spent mostly in Arizona with Deb doing most of the driving. We know many of you predected that as soon as Deb got used to handling the Rig that she would be behind the wheel a lot. Not quite as much distance traveled but quite a workout for the V10 engine as we went up mountain and down valley (and I mean MOUNTAINS) but it performed very well and we are able to keep up with the flow of traffic in most cases without a problem.


We traveled though both low and high desert areas with all sorts of variations of flora and fauna including Joshua Trees, many varieties of cacti. The fauna were a bit less evident but at least most of what we saw was alive (like deer in the forest area outside of Flagstaff) rather than dead along the roadway like all the Armadillos we saw in Texas and New Mexico.


As I said, Deb was behind the wheel from Flagstaff to Kingman, AZ then I took over for the last three mountain runs of the day (either side of the Colorado River and approaching Henderson/Las Vegas from the south.We had not been on that road for a good number of years and were quite pleasantly surprised to find that the whole length going North out of Searchlight is now four lanes. Now for those of you who never heard of Searchlight Nevada or Cal-Nev-Ari (a town that is just about as long as the dirt air strip that runs parallel to the highway just behind the line of dwellings along the road), it is time to use Mapquest and/or Google Earth or some other such resource to check it out!


We are now at the Luxor for a couple of nights - taking a break from the driving and taking a showers where I don't have to stand with my head up in a skylight.
I've decided that I will be posting all of our photos at the Kodak site without any editing or comments, etc. just so they are available for everyone to view, rather than waiting for me to find the time to work with them so you may see some that are just a blur or that don't make any sense...keep in mind that most of these are being taken while on the move at speeds of up to 80 and road conditions from great to washboard.


...and a word from Deb:


Hey this is me, I am still here, just not to good with the new laptop and as you all can see Ty makes me drive all the time, and I am black and blue from the beatings. I am just joking!!! I am loving every minute of this trip, I miss you all and I hope all of you miss me too. Ty and I are really liking this "Don'y Worry, Be Happy" attitude. Zac, Nicole, Jess, Ben and Sissy, I miss you the most!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the updates and photo uploads - great stuff so far. Armadillo ROADKILL?? That must be quite a bump - not unlike a turtle I guess - but bigger! Hope you've both been able to hit little more than the occassional tumbleweed!

Enjoy the pitstop at the Luxor - try to get some sleep despite the strong urge to gamble all hours of the night! ;)

I forget - are you meeting up with anyone there? or is it just the two of ya?