Sunday, March 31, 2019

O Fortuna!

Those of you who have been following my blog postings for many years have probably noticed it has been since May 2018, that I last wrote about exploring the USS Alabama near Mobile, AL. This is mostly because I've not really been anywhere new to report on since that time, but today I've been somewhere different. It is in Mobile again, but not a typical travel venue:
Carl Orff's Carmina Burana was presented at the Saenger Theater. The performing groups included the Mobile Symphony Orchestra, the University of South Alabama Concert Choir and the Mobile Opera Chorus, a total of over 180 musicians. Guest conductor, Lidiya Yankovskya is music director of the Chicago Opera Theater and did a most creditable job in bringing this masterpiece to life. It was, in a word, fantastic, every bit of what I was expecting and more. If you enjoy classical music, I would encourage you to attend a performance of this work if it is ever presented in your area.


No comments: