Monday, May 28, 2018

USS Alabama


As indicated in my last blog, I have returned to Battleship Park in Mobile to actually tour the vessels.

USS Alabama was commissioned in August 1942 and earned 9 Battle Stars during WWII. The ship is 680 feet long and under battle conditions weighed in at 90 million pounds. In addition to the size of the ship and her guns, I was astounded at the maze of interior stairs (more like ladders) and passageways.

The sub, USS Drum, commissioned in November 1941, is 311 feet long and earned 12 Battle Stars during the war. I spent only a few minutes inside the sub. I am not claustrophobic, but there were only a few spots where I could stand fully erect.

Included in these photos are 2 shots of parts of my favorite aircraft the SR-71 or A-12, YF-12, or a number of other designations, depending on exact configuration and several other factors.

No comments: